Plan Your Trip
- Reservations : You should reserve your time at the Preserve as soon as possible. Your field trip is not reserved until you have submitted the Reservation Form and received a confirmation email from the Preserve.
- NOTE: Fridays are the most popular day for trips, so books these dates ASAP!!
- Fee is $6 per person (teachers are free); minimum group size is 15, so the minimum group fee is $90, regardless of group size. Maximum group size (students only) is 50, not including teachers & chaperones. Checks are payable to Pettit Preserve. Chaperone/parent fee is $6 per person. Cash, checks or credit cards are acceptable payment.
- Parking : The Preserve has limited parking space. Groups not using buses should arrange to carpool to minimize impact on Preserve roads & habitat.
- Start time/Directions : Your start time is based on the school’s distance from the Preserve. Start time will be confirmed at the time of reservation.
- Parents/bus drivers need to use "Douthit Bridge, Dallas, GA" in their GPS and then follow the signs. Any other GPS entry WILL lead to incorrect directions, late arrival & a curtailed program.
- In order to end on time, start time will be strictly observed: the group start time will not be delayed for parents who arrive late, even if they have their child with them.
- If you fail to arrive at the assigned start time, your class may not be able to receive the full program due to time constraints.
- We are NOT affiliated with Pettit Creek Farms – we have occasionally had parents miss their child’s trip due to this confusion!
- Recommended clothing : Outerwear suitable for weather. Please check forecast & encourage appropriate clothing for expected weather. (Closed shoes are required, NO sandals/flip flops. Long pants are best.
- Students who have emergency medication (epipens, inhalers) prescribed by a physician for life threatening allergies are required to bring meds for safety reasons! If the group is divided for programming, the teacher should make sure she remains in the group with affected child/ren. The Preserve is not liable for insect stings or contact with poisonous plants as can be reasonably expected in nature, so teacher/school assumes all liability.
- Restrooms : While the Preserve does have a restroom at the Learning Shed, groups should encourage members to use restroom facilities before coming to the Preserve to avoid long lines & lengthy waits, which take time away from the educational experience.
- Water: If your group plans to hike the 1.6 mi trail please plan to bring water bottles (preferably reusable ones!)
- Inclement weather : All appointments for field trips are kept unless the National Weather Service issues a severe weather warning, in which case Preserve staff will contact you, Our trails are designed so that rain the day before an event will NOT hamper your visit. Please remember that weather conditions at the Preserve may not be the same as at your group’s origination point. If you have any questions the week before you visit, please contact the Education Coordinator.
- Snack/lunch : If your reserved time falls during lunch, you are welcome to picnic at the Preserve. Please notify staff in advance if you plan to do so.
- Payment is expected no later than the day of your trip; you may pay as soon as you arrive the day of your trip.
- Staff Contact:Mary Ann Pawlowski is the Preserve Education Coordinator. If you have any questions about logistics or educational goals for your trip, please contact her at 678-446-5611 or email@example.com.
GPS NOTE: Online Maps and GPS software may lead you astray getting to our location. Please click here to see a list of directions.